When Grand Cuisine was invited to cater the grand opening of the Smithsonian, National Museum of African American History and Culture, we knew the pressure was on. Such an important event required a menu that perfectly blended the culture reflected in the Museum, while keeping guests surprised with unique and delicious options.
What we created was a culinary journey through the African American lenses, celebrating traditional cuisine while taking a twist on well-known dishes. In short, the menu was a flawless reflection of the Museum’s mission and goals.
As 3,000 attendees experienced the Museum for the first time, they sampled African American cuisine from regions across our country. The menu celebrated the Agricultural South, the Northern States, the Western Range, and the Creole Coast.
Take a look at some of the crowd’s favorite dishes from this spectacular evening:
- Seared Seabass with Root Vegetables “Chow Chow”
- Made-To-Order “Hoppin’ John” with Duck Confit, Boudin Blanc, and Popcorn Shoots
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Warm Apple and Braised Beet Relish
- A Cobbler Station with options assembled to order
- Maine Lobster Pot Pie with Golden Potato and Sweet White Corn
- Cider-Braised Greens with Smoked Turkey Leg
- Grits and Grillades in Tomato Bell-Pepper Gravy
- Red Velvet Eclairs, Smith Island Cake, and 7-Up Bundt Cakes with a Confectioner’s Sugar Glaze
- Mesquite Smoked Short Ribs over Slow-Cooked Anasazi Beans and Preserved Heirloom Carrot
- Skillet Corn Pudding with Cobb Smoked Bacon, Cheddar, and Sous Vide Poached Free-Range Eggs
- Black Frog Brewery Braised Venison Stew
- Caramel Corn Cake with Salted Caramel Ice Cream and Blackberry Gelee, Cinnamon Sugar Shortbread and Raspberry-White Peach Coulis, and Vanilla Chili Flan
- Gulf Oyster Station with Fresh Shucked Blue Point Oysters and Fried Oysters
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Foie Gras Fondue, Duck Confit and Chicory Coffee Syrup, and Cane Sugar-Chili Brined Pork Loin with Apricot Coulis
- Fire-Roasted Gulf Oysters with Lemon Garlic Butter and Snipped Chive
- Cranberry-Ginger Praline, Bourbon and Apricot Praline, Toasted Coconut and Rum Praline, and Chocolate & Chicory Bread Pudding with Espresso Anglaise
Invite the top catering company in Washington, DC to make your next big event a memorable one!